Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Ireland.
Many couples choose to a marriage licence at home first, before eloping to Ireland to have a Symbolic, Religious or Blessing ceremony. Ceremonies can be held at the Sea View House, along the Cliffs of Moher, or by the coastline. The ceremony can be carried out by an Officiant, Celebrant, Celtic priest, Monk or Family friend.
It is relatively straight forward to get legally married in Ireland. The Irish marriage licence is vailid internationally. We can assist you in arranging a Solemniser to carry out the Irish legal wedding ceremony. See below for more details.
How to get legally married at The Sea View House.
- Contact Sea View House to select a date.
- Register an intent to marry with any Registrars Office in Ireland at least 3 months before the ceremony.(We can assit you with this)
- Supply Registrars Office in Ireland with copies of your legal documents (see list below) at least 3 months before the ceremony.
- Present Original documents in person at the Registrars office at least five days before the ceremony.
- Passport as ID
- Birth Certificate
- If either party is divorced, original final decrees in respect of all previous divorces
- If widowed, death certificate of the previous spouse and the civil marriage certificate for their first marriage.
Additional documentation may be required in some cases, such as where a divorce has been granted outside of Ireland and it must be determined whether it is recognised under Irish law.They will also need the following.
- Intended date of marriage.
- Names and dates of birth of your witnesses.
- Details of the proposed solemnise.
- Details of the proposed venue.
Fiinaly you will need to present the original documents in person at the Registrars office at least five days before the ceremony. Find out more about our Destination Weddings.
Get in touch with us
Looking for a destination wedding? Sea View House in Doolin village offers spectacular views and could be the ideal base for your small intimate Irish wedding. We are only a 5 minutes from the Cliffs of Moher making us the ideal location for you elopement to Ireland.